As a vegan, it can be a bit difficult to find easy things to take for packed lunches. One thing I do enjoy and that aren’t too bad are Nakd bars but at 70p-ish a pop, they aren’t cheap!
What I have discovered is that a similar (and even tastier) version is ridiculously easy to make yourself at home! These brownies are fudgy, dense and sooo chocolatey that they taste naughty when they AREN’T EVEN NAUGHTY! No butter, no sugar and totally vegan and cruelty free!
As I’ve made a vow to eat mostly raw foods during the day, I used raw cacao powder, but if you’re on a budget, normal supermarket cocoa powder works ok too. You can easily change the nuts for the same quantity another kind – I have used cashews (total supernut) with great success and experiment with adding flavourings such as orange or raspberry (my favourites with chocolate!).
Perfect served with a coffee, glass of almond milk, or, if you’re feeling really virtuous, a freshly pressed green juice!
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp. raw cacao powder (or sub normal cocoa powder)
- 2tsp agave nectar (optional)
- Blitz the nuts in a food processor until they are very fine and oily.
- Add the dates, cacao powder and agave nectar along with any flavouring you wish to add.
- Blitz again and turn mixture out onto a baking tray, pressing it firmly until you have a ‘tray-bake’ approximately 2cm high.
- Cut into desired size and individually wrap or store. Or munch.