Hi! Hope you are enjoying the sunshine as much as I am this evening after work!
Tonight’s dinner is yummy vegan cauliflower cheese. I don’t heavily rely on vegan ‘cheeze’ substitutes but sometimes I’ll get a craving for something ‘comfort foody’ especially 2 days in to the new term…bleugh!
Although it is definitely not a health food (check the fat content :O), I have added a healthy serving of ‘nooch’ (Nutritional Yeast packed with B vitamins) and ground almonds to up the nutritional value and provide a really tasty crunchy topping.
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2.5 cups of unsweetened vegan ‘milk’ (I used Alpro Unsweetened Almond)
- 2 tbsp. vegan margarine (I use Vitalite)
- 3 tbsp. cornflour
- 3 tbsp. vegan cream cheese (I used plain Violife which I really recommend but you could use another cheese)
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- half tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp. ground almonds
- sea salt and cracked black pepper to season
- freshly chopped herbs (optional – I used parsley and thyme)
- Par-boil the cauliflower for 4 minutes in boiling water, drain and set aside.
- Over a medium/low heat, melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the cornflour, mustard power and smoked paprika and stir to make a thick paste.
- Gradually(!) add the milk substitute, stirring all the time.
- Return to a medium heat and stir until the sauce reaches the boil at which point it should be a good white sauce consistency. Adjust to your preference using a cornflour and water paste or more milk if necessary. You can season your sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cream cheese (I really rate Violife for this) and stir until melted and mixed well.
- Turn the cauliflower into a baking dish and pour over your white sauce.
- Top with the nutritional yeast and ground almonds and bake for 15-20 mins or until golden on top!
I served this with a green salad and it was really good! If you make this let me know how it turned out – I really appreciate your feedback and ideas!