We celebrated the last weekend of the Easter holidays with a trip to The Hive beach at Burton Bradstock in Dorset which is beautiful and it’s easy to find a secluded spot to let the dogs play and enjoy some peace!
I am a big fan of picnics and we made vegan ‘egg’ and cress sandwiches which taste (and look) a ridiculous amount like the real thing. Alex said they tasted more like egg mayo sandwiches than egg mayo sandwiches! They were nice accompanied with some crisps and a bit of sand!
The real key here is the kala namak (Black Salt) which gives the authentic egg flavour. You can order it quite cheaply from Amazon here and it can sometimes be found in health food shops. It is also brilliant for scrambled tofu, eggless omelettes and vegan Spanish tortilla! Just don’t do as I did and take a massive sniff as soon as you open it as you could be put off for life!
Ingredients (Makes 4 sandwiches):
- half block Cauldron tofu or similar
- pinch kala namak (to taste)
- vegan mayonnaise/salad cream (I personally prefer salad cream)
- half a pot of cress
- freshly ground black pepper
- Crumble the tofu into a bowl and season with the kala namak and black pepper.
- Add the mayonnaise or salad cream to taste.
- Assemble sandwiches with cress!
- Cut into triangles (obviously the only way to enjoy egg sandwiches)!!!
Some views of the beach